The Path to Mastery II
A Journey of Professional and Personal Development
To become a systemic practitioner takes time.
Systemic coaching and facilitation are not just another ‘tool’ or methodology but an applied philosophy, a way of perceiving and a way of being.
Our ‘Path to Mastery’ training journey offers Practitioners an opportunity to belong in an ongoing learning group focused on mastering organisational constellations, systemic coaching, supervision, training and facilitation. Through a rich mix of teaching, sharing and practice over eighteen months participants will connect with the inner stance, build fresh understanding of the underpinning philosophy and practice application in a breadth of contexts.
This journey, Path to Mastery II, begins in a beautiful exclusive-use Mediterranean retreat in September 2021 followed, every few months, by a module in the UK, concluding with a fifth module at the same retreat venue in the spring of 2023.
Who is this for?
Those who have completed Coaching Constellations ‘Walking in the Field’ Practitioner training and
- who wish to belong in an ongoing learning and professional practice group that journeys and learns together over time
- wish to deepen their capacity to design and facilitate systemic interventions in any setting including individual or group supervision, 1-2-1 coaching, team coaching, group workshop facilitation, training, OD work and other contexts
- are ready to go to their learning edge so that this ‘applied philosophy’ is more deeply understood, integrated and applied in their lives, work and professional practice
- feel drawn to this way of learning and working in ways that may be hard to express but who feel resourced, enlightened and enlivened by it
- may like to teach and/or facilitate open workshops using this approach and so develop their skills and capacity to face into the complexities of sharing with others this somatic, phenomenological work
“If we are facing in the right direction all we have to do is to keep walking.”
The teaching team
This personalised professional developmental journey will be facilitated by John Whittington plus international guest trainers Klaus Horn and Ty Francis. Lynn Stoney will lead the second module with a focus on personal and family-of-origin dynamics and resources as well as looking at how to support ourselves and our clients face into trauma.
This will all combine to offer a mix of learning of different kinds. Learning for the head, for the heart and for the body – all in support of personal alignment and professional expression.
“Walk with your feet, not with your head.
If you walk with your head, you’ll get lost.”
Thich Nhat Han
The balance of exchange
What you will be offered
✣ Opportunities to learn through new teaching (with John plus international guest trainers Klaus Horn and Ty Francis), new somatic exercises, classical and structural constellations.
✣ Learning by preparing for and then facilitating an experiential session for the whole group.
✣ Learning from others by their teaching and participating in the phenomenological exercises in their facilitated group sessions.
✣ An opportunity to swim in the deep river of insights into the human condition that this approach offers and extend your ability and confidence to share them.
✣ Belonging in a systemic community of practice and learning that embodies and enables this profound, yet practical approach.
✣ Opportunities to refine your ability to read a constellation and a system – and to expand your range and your repertoire of facilitation.
✣ Peer practice within and in between modules in whole and smaller learning groups with learning through being an issue holder, representative and facilitator.
✣ Individual supervision and developmental feedback with John; to support your preparation for the training and your module within it as well as feedback and guidance afterwards.
You will also be offered fresh teaching input built around practical, somatic exercises so you can master:
Teaching and somatic excercises
- Perceiving and facilitating systems through our 3 brains
- ‘The Art of Not Helping’ and ‘The Facilitators’ dance’
- ‘Contracting with the system’ – a checklist for systemic contracting
- ‘The portfolio mirror’. Identifying your shadow in your client portfolio
- ‘The Ages of Man’. Resourcing yourself from the inside out
Teaching and somatic exercises
- ‘The Five Stepping Stones’. A path through the phenomenology of a constellation.
- ‘The Systemic Cat’s Cradle’ exercise that illustrates interdependencies for you, for your clients
- ‘Hidden loyalties, hidden treasure’ – an exercise
- ‘Joining, Belonging, Leaving.’ The cycle of belonging in systems – an exercise
- Reading a constellation – how to read the phenomenology of a constellation – a guide
- ‘One true sentence’ – a way to identify just the right words at different stages of a constellation
- ‘From tabletop to workshop’. A practical framework that allows many to facilitate a constellation.
- Working with the Peacock’s Tail. A new model for working at the level of the system in one-to-one and team coaching
- Using the cataleptic hand with clients to separate out projections and entanglements
Teaching and somatic excercises
- Deepening your understanding and application of the organising principles of systems
- Sharing of the organising principles with leaders – latest practice in practical ways
- Belonging explained. A new somatic experience.
Application in context
Teaching and somatic exercises
Working in the field
- ‘Leading with the System in Mind’ – the unwritten rules
- How to support the emergence of organisational health
- How to work with family businesses
- The unique dynamics around founders
- Working with the emerging future
- Systemic Coaching without the constellation
- Facilitating ‘classic’ constellations in intact teams
- Working with non-personal representatives
- Resourcing individuals to lead systems
One-to-one systemic coaching
- Systemic ‘interviews’ and questions
- Advanced applications of one-to-one work
- The ‘3 me’s’ excercise for you and your clients
- Resourcing yourself to work systemically
Team, group and system facilitation
- The 10 golden rules for contracting and working with teams
- Finding the ‘team sentence’ that limits and resources
- A way of working with an intact team as the collective client
- ‘The Cat’s Cradle’. A way to introduce teams to belonging and hidden loyalty
- The systemic team appreciation exercise
- Systemic sense-making with a team or group
✣ The programme will integrate mindfulness and simple movement (all levels) to support resourcing and somatic, embodied awareness. Find your still point with Yoga Nidra, stretch with Pilates and Yoga and release tension with massage, reflexology and the restoration of fluid primitive movement.
✣ You will be awarded 78 hours of certified CPD and ICF CCEUs and a certificate that affirms your status as a ‘Master Practitioner in Systemic Coaching and Facilitation’
✣ A framework for a supported lifelong learning and development group will be offered during the journey
“Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.”
William Butler Yeats
The balance of exchange
What you are invited to prepare and share
- Each of the participants will be invited to prepare a short session to share with the group. A sharing that is built around a particular systemic focus of your choosing.
- In the same way that your Practitioner case study and book review took you deeper and offered you new learning, the preparation and delivery of your session will give you the opportunity to prepare and facilitate at your learning edge in a way that you and your peers will greatly benefit from. John can be on hand, if required, to support your preparation through Skype-based supervision.
- Your session should include some background and context, but the majority of the session should be a practical activity the whole group can participate in and learn from. Please see suggestions on structure and content by clicking on the ‘Your assignment’ button below. This opens in a new page.
You are also invited to consider creating a piece of reflective writing as you progress on this developmental journey.
Written reflections offer you a rich source of additional insight and can also inform and deepen the individual supervision that forms part of this integrated journey.
“Only one who devotes themselves to a cause with their whole strength and soul can be a true master. For this reason mastery demands all of a person.”
“If we want to work deeply with other people, we need to open the depths in ourselves.”
Support for your learning:
- You will be invited to support each other in a number of ways including the creation of a peer-practice group in between the modules and the formation of learning-buddy–triads that stay connected between modules to support development and growth.
- Video recording of your teaching assignment session to support and deepen your learning will be available on an individual basis.
- John supports each individual in their topic selection and preparation for the facilitation of their ‘teaching assignment’.
- Maximum group size is 18, allowing a mix of people from across the world to meet and learn together in pairs, triads, small groups and as a whole group in a rich weave of learning, teaching and sharing.
Dates and modules
September 27th to October 2nd 2021
Arrivals are on the afternoon/eveing of Sunday 26th September 2021 at Santillán, our home for this module: a beautiful exclusive-use retreat hotel overlooking The Mediterranean in southern Spain.
This first module, the retreat week, ends with lunch on Saturday 2nd October 2021.
2.5 days in Spring 2022
This module will be held in the Medieval Cathedral city of Salisbury, Wiltshire. It will be co-facilitated by Lynn Stoney and John Whittington and have as its focus family and personal system dynamics. It will be designed to deepen participants’ understanding of human relationship systems can catalyse alignment that builds personal presence and depth as a coach and systemic facilitator. We will also explore trauma in individuals and organisations and how we can work with it, with mastery.
2.5 days in summer 2022
As well as teaching with John, practice and the sharing sessions this module will include a day with international trainer Ty Francis on an aspect of organisational constellations.
2.5 days in Autumn 2022
As well as teaching with John, practice and the sharing sessions this module will include a session with an international guest trainer on a particular aspect of organisational health.
This fully residential module is held back where we began, in our unique exclusive use Spanish retreat.
This fifth module will build on and consolidate the previous four and provide further insights into systems and embodied work. In this last module the group will also have opportunities to contract for an ongoing peer learning group.
Participants of this group will also be invited to establish a life-long supported learning peer group that continues after this structure concludes. A framework for this will be offered during the journey.
In common with all Coaching Constellations programmes this personalised professional development journey is offered at alternative fee levels, depending on the source of your funding. As noted below we are also always open to agreeing flexible terms that work for each participant.
For in-house coaches or HR/OD consultants sponsored by a substantial business: £13,465 for all 5 modules.
The fee – which can be paid in instalments – includes your en-suite accommodation, all food and refreshments at both the residential retreat modules (modules 1 and 5).*
For independent coaches and those leading privately owned coaching businesses: £9,210 for all 5 modules.
The fee – which can be paid in instalments – includes your individual en-suite accommodation, all food and refreshments at both the residential retreat modules (modules 1 and 5).*
*Excludes travel costs, and your accommodation if required for Salisbury and London modules.
*Fees are liable to VAT at the standard rate. For more information on VAT please see this page.
We are always open to discuss a schedule of payments that supports individual cash-flow patterns; please just ask. Our suggested approach is to spread the cost over 4 payments, over the eighteen months ending in 2023, as follows: 15% deposit on booking; 35% by May 1st, 2022; 30% by October 1st, 2022 and the remaining 20% by March 1st 2023.
The Path to Mastery