Some next steps . . .
Applying your learning
Now you’ve taken the first step on the learning journey into coaching that’s in service of the whole system, here are some suggested ways in which you can share the approach with your clients:
✣ Offer mapping (the first part of a constellation) in a ‘chemistry’ or first coaching session as a way of surfacing the deeper agenda and then look with your clients at ‘what is’, just as it is.
- Go further, if appropriate and you feel ready, by facilitating a systemically-informed intervention to illuminate the hidden relationship architecture, and what ‘one step towards better’ might be
✣ Listen for information that may indicate that there is something out of balance in the system.
- For example you may hear your client say something like “Oh don’t worry about them, they left long ago. . .” or “It’s always been like that here. . .” or “There was another founder who left shortly after it all started . . .” or anything else that is mentioned, often as an aside, that you recognise could be a violation of the organising principles of systems.
✣ Remember that stuckness can be caused by hidden loyalties to events or people in the past.
- Ask system-orientated questions. For example: “Who or what are you loyal to when you stay stuck like that?” or “Who gives the most in this system?…”
✣ Remember to look out for repeating patterns, then follow them to their source.
- Remember that all behaviour makes sense when seen in context of the system in which it belongs.
✣ Invite teams and individual leaders to consider the impact of TIME in their system. Ask questions like “Who was the first in this system?” and offer interventions that allow the hierarchy of TIME to reveal itself.
- Stand in a circle of TIME (order of joining the system), or create it on the tabletop.
✣ Start experimenting with the methodology of mapping and constellations by self-facilitating your own interventions for issues of stuckness or concern in your own work as a coach or consultant.
- Using objects on a tabletop, map your own stuckness or current challenge and see if you can find a ‘step towards better’ through the use of respectful sentences and movement.
We are invited by participants of this training, to facilitate constellation workshops in which coaches can bring their clients to illuminate the hidden dynamics in their organisational, professional and personal systems.
Fundamentals Part II
The next training level is a three-day experiential journey, building and expanding on the subjects you have covered in Fundamentals Part I. Facilitated by John Whittington and a member of the team, it includes ways of working with teams as well as one-to-one applications and the underpinning principles. Most importantly you will have an opportunity to facilitate constellations in small groups, building your understanding and confidence in applying the methodology.
You will also have more opportunities to illuminate your own systems and start to disentangle yourself from those in which you have belonged as well as resource yourself from them. You will be able to look at and attend to difficult endings and illuminate hidden loyalties in your ‘Peacock’s Tail’ that strengthen or limit you. A further set of unique handouts is included so that you also have fresh material to absorb, in parallel with reading the book.
You are welcome to complete each level of the training at your own pace, when you feel ready. The next Fundamentals Part II training with availability is shown on the DIARY page.
At any stage of your learning and developmental journey you may want to enjoy the benefits of supervision from a systemic perspective. We are delighted to open a door to the systemic supervision work of one of our core team of associates Maren, who offers one-to-one supervision over Skype from her base in Berlin and who teaches on several of our programmes.
You may apply for a place on our annual Practitioner training once you have applied for Fundamentals Part II. The 10-day training, in three modules, is for those who want to build a deeper experiential understanding of systems and bring the approach into their day-to-day life and work. Entry requirements are for you to:
- Complete our 3-day Fundamentals Part II training
- Read ‘Systemic Coaching & Constellations’
- As a result of reading the book, write a personal learning journal summary of one chapter
Each Practitioner training begins with a residential module in a beautiful retreat location. The remaining two 3-day modules are held in central London. All details and dates of the next Practitioner training are here.
Markers and Mapping Kits
Use our unique wooden markers in your one-to-one constellations and team mapping, available from our Resources page.
While training at Fundamentals Part II level and before Practitioner you are required to read ‘Systemic Coaching & Constellations’ which has multiple case studies and exercises. The 2nd edition was published in 2016 and is available from all online booksellers.
As you develop your understanding of this way of thinking and working, this ‘applied philosophy’ you will benefit from reading from a broader selection of books, papers and other sources. To access the latest reading lists please scroll down this page and explore further.
Life, Love, Leadership
In early 2017 John Whittington began to offer constellation workshops through ‘Life, Love and Leadership’ so as to make this approach more widely available and accessible. These subject-specific workshops are open to participants of the Coaching Constellations trainings as well as others with an interest in systemic constellations and the workshop theme. On the same site there are also a growing number of articles about the dynamics that support and disrupt flow in life, in intimate relationships and in leadership. The articles combine insights into the hidden dynamics that limit us, together with suggestions on how to illuminate and soften them using the understandings that underpin the approach you have been learning about.